villages

How is Aging in Place like UBER?

March 14, 2016
Thumbnail image for How is Aging in Place like UBER?

Of course this is a good question. If we show how Aging in Place is like UBER we should get energy and investment behind aging in place because it should take off like UBER. I am not sure I had an answer before I heard Robin Chase, the co-founder of ZIPcar, speak at the Business… Continue Reading How is Aging in Place like UBER?

Read the full article →

Aging in Place Changes

March 6, 2014
Thumbnail image for Aging in Place Changes

These are my thoughts as I prepare for the  What’s Next Boomer Business Summit and American Society on Aging conference  in San Diego next week. Since I am also attending the National Forum on Aging in Community I reviewed the current issue of Generations Journal focused on that topic. Aging in Place has changed since… Continue Reading Aging in Place Changes

Read the full article →

Framing the Aging in Place Agenda

July 19, 2013
Thumbnail image for Framing the Aging in Place Agenda

I was guest at a great dinner the other night courtesy of Marty Bell of the National Aging in Place Council. The other guests included Bob Blancato of Matz, Blancato & Associates. Bob is the well respected premier DC insider on aging issue. Candace Baldwin, whirlwind head of the Village to Village Network joined us… Continue Reading Framing the Aging in Place Agenda

Read the full article →

Senior Housing Operators Move into Community Services 2

February 7, 2013
Thumbnail image for Senior Housing Operators Move into Community Services 2

Who is the Client? More specifically, does knowing your senior housing facility client help you move into community services? Most senior operators know they will never get a serious look from much more than 5%, the accepted industry statistic for market penetration. The remaining 95% is mighty tempting. Their age related health issues and needs… Continue Reading Senior Housing Operators Move into Community Services 2

Read the full article →

Cottages Followup- is Universal Design becoming prime time?

September 12, 2011
Thumbnail image for Cottages Followup- is Universal Design becoming prime time?

Hopefully the cottages project (see the September 8 entry) on which I am working is not so innovative. Hopefully it is just near the tipping point of mainstream. Here are two articles from Builder Online,  a general building world  magazine, speaking of Universal Design as the cutting edge and common new ground of the builder… Continue Reading Cottages Followup- is Universal Design becoming prime time?

Read the full article →

What should YOU do to Age in Place?

January 31, 2011
Thumbnail image for What should YOU do to Age in Place?

I was recently in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada giving presentations to the Nova Scotia Home Builder’s Association and for a collaboration of the Nova Scotia Department of Seniors and an innovative local business, Home Safe Living. A question asked at the Nova Scotia Seniors program prompted this entry. “What do you want us to do?”… Continue Reading What should YOU do to Age in Place?

Read the full article →

Vital/Vulnerable Aging- The Balance

December 14, 2010
Thumbnail image for Vital/Vulnerable Aging- The Balance

I am deeply engaged in Aging in Place, almost boringly focused on preparing homes in advance of health crises that otherwise force us out of our homes.

Read the full article →

Aging in Place- the Villages

October 27, 2010
Thumbnail image for Aging in Place- the Villages

The Village movement continues to be a bright spot demonstrating American Democracy at it’s finest.  These new ‘Village People” are saying, “We know how we want it so we will do it ourselves. AARP has done some research about how villages work. Lots is happening, the Village to Village Network has a map on their… Continue Reading Aging in Place- the Villages

Read the full article →

Aging in Place/Villages on Radio

October 4, 2010
Thumbnail image for Aging in Place/Villages on Radio

Kojo Nnamdi, a great talk show host on WAMU, one of DC’s public radio stations conducted a great conversation on the rise of the Village movement in DC. He had guests and callers from lots of points of view.

Read the full article →

NPR Aging in Place series

August 23, 2010
Thumbnail image for NPR Aging in Place series

A four part NPR series by Jennifer Ludden on Aging in Place starts today. The first segment is a very good story that refers to a few families who are planning to age in place. I found one key line to be: “They know they will need help and they have a plan for that… Continue Reading NPR Aging in Place series

Read the full article →